22 September 2007

A Classic Experience

It's been a long time since my last post. Blame it on the Ipod Classic. At $250, I got 80gb of storage--enough to store all the MP3s I've managed to collect in 5 years and video playback too.

First impressions first. It looks slim and feels handy. It still however feels like a hard-drive-based MP3 player so there's always the constant fear that dropping it means saying goodbye not only to the backup of my music collection but the $250 as well. Until Apple produces an 80gb, flash-based Ipod for under 300 bucks, this thing will stay only at home, while my Shuffle comes with me wherever I go.

Once turned on, there's the familiar Ipod interface that even newbies can quickly navigate. The only added feature over the 5th Gen model is the constantly present album art (provided your music is properly tagged with it). Looking for music either using Cover Flow or browsing through artists, albums or genres feels like browsing through actual CDs. And seeing random album art scrolling by the main menu can remind you to listen to an old favorite.

The sound quality, to my ears, using the stock earbuds is top notch. If there's anyone claiming that it sucks, he's probably just high on placebo.

Really the only bad thing about this Ipod is... Itunes. The newest version which is a requirement is as slow as watching paint dry on a rainy day. This on a Athlon X2 3600+ with 2gb of ram. (And no, I don't have any spyware.) The only relief to me is that once I have my music properly tagged with MP3tag and transferred using Itunes I can uninstall it finally.

No comments: