28 August 2007

Winamp with Album Art

If you read my foobar2000 ripping guide, you probably have an inkling that I love foobar2000. I do... but only as a ripper and not as a music player. Here are the features I have to have:

1. free
2.
low system resource usage
3.
support for mp3, wma, aac and ogg
4. active playlist edit window, like that of winamp
5. support for album art

Features 2 and 3 throw Itunes and WMP out the window. The fourth one is the killer. I have to see the entire active playlist and I have yet to see a player aside from winamp that does this. Others just have a list of playlists that you have to highlight or double-click to see their contents. There may be an option or plugin to do this in foobar2000 or musikcube but the solution eludes me.

Feature 5 has been dodgy on winamp... until now.

Doesn't this add to winamp's supposed bloat? Well, the great thing about winamp is that you can trim it down by uninstalling the plugins you don't need. With the lovely config I have on the left, it only uses 5-6 megs when minimized. I'll tell you how to do that once this beta of winamp I'm using goes final.

No comments: